Icelandic nature is breath-taking and diverse in its variety: glaciers, waterfalls, volcanoes, icebergs and hot springs. Your students can experience it all first-hand on a Geography trip to this unique and diverse destination.
Iceland is a country of extreme contrasts. Widely known as “The land of fire and ice”, Iceland is home to some of the largest glaciers in Europe, and some of the world’s most active volcanoes.
With almost 80% of the country uninhabited, much of Iceland’s terrain consists of plateaux, mountain peaks and fertile lowlands. There are many long, deep fjords and glaciers, and the landscape is characterized by waterfalls, geysers, volcanoes, black sand beaches and steaming lava fields.
We include in the price of your tour the 3 must-do excursions for student groups studying Geography:-
- The Golden Circle Tour introduces your students to some of Iceland’s most exciting and famous natural phenomena. Highlights include Gullfoss or Golden Waterfall, the Strokkur geysir which spouts up to 30 metres high, a visit to the Hellisheiði Geothermal Plant and Þingvellir, a remarkable geological site due to its tectonic and volcanic environment, and the most historic site on the island.
- The South Shore Adventure takes the group to the lowland region of lush farmland, striking waterfalls, sandy coastline, glaciers and quaint towns and villages. Highlights include travelling over the scenic mountain pass of Hellisheiði, a stop at the spectacular waterfalls of Seljalandsfoss and Skógarfoss and and a drive past Dyrhólaey a magnificent keyhole-shaped headland. Frequent views of mountains throughout the tour include the towering, ice-capped stratovolcano Eyjafjallajökull, and at the foot of this a visit to the Volcano Visitor Centre is included.
- The Blue Lagoon is a unique wonder of nature; a lagoon with pleasantly warm mineral-rich geothermal water in the middle of a black lava field. The high natural levels of silica and minerals give the Lagoon its rich blue colour – likely to be the swim or dip of a lifetime for your students.
What the price includes
- Return flights from London to Reykjavik
- 1 checked bag (hold luggage) per passenger
- 3 or 4 nights’ accommodation
- Continental breakfast daily
- Return airport to accommodation private coach transfers
- Entrance to the Blue Lagoon*
- Golden Circle Tour
- South Shore Adventure
- Individually tailored itinerary
- Educational Visits and Attractions Guide
- 1 Free Staff Place for every 10 students
- Expert Local Guides
- 24 hour UK emergency cover and support
- All Government Taxes, City Taxes, Services Charges & VAT
*Your visit to the Blue Lagoon is either on arrival or departure airport transfer dependent on flight times
In addition to our 3 included excursions, here is a sample from our range that can be added to an itinerary:-
Northern Lights Tour
The Northern Lights, also known as the Aurora Borealis, are a spectacular natural phenomenon, often seen dancing around in fantastic colours across the Arctic sky. Northern Lights can be seen when certain weather conditions are fulfilled, usually during crispy cold and very still evenings. This tour is subject to the correct weather conditions and sightings cannot be guaranteed.
Discover the marvels that volcanicactivity has created. The Icelandic lava fields preserve an exciting underground world of lava tubes, where time has come to a standstill. Tunnels, lava rivers and stalactites are frozen in a fossil world of black basalt, mixed with colourful oxides. This activity can be added to either of the full day excursions included in your package.
Journey into the Glacier
After nearly five years of studying, planning and modelling by top engineers and world-renowned geophysicists and glacier specialists, the Langjokull Ice Cave, located high on Europe’s second largest glacier, is now open to visitors.
The Icelandic Sagas are renowned throughout the world. This Saga Tour takes you to the settings of famous events in Icelandic history where you follow in the footsteps of the Viking warrior, the poet Egill Skallagrímsson and others in Borgarfjörður.
We use the services of airlines such as Icelandair, British Airways, Easyjet or WOW Air. Please see approximate timings below for flights from London (please note these times are purely for guidance). Flights are also available from selected UK regional airports at a supplement.
Outbound: Depart: London – 1240 hrs Arrive: Reykjavik – 1540 hrs
Inbound: Depart: Reykjavik – 1630 hrs Arrive: London – 1930 hrs
Your group will stay in carefully selected accommodation, either a hostel or hotel. Our range includes the Hotel Cabin, Reykjavik City Hostel Laugardalur and the Arctic Comfort Hotel. The Green Agenda offers groups staying at the Reykjavik City Hostel Laugardalur a selection of presentations and workshops focussing on sustainability which can support your group's educational requirements.
Your package price includes continental breakfast each morning. For lunches and dinners you can choose to make your own arrangements, alternatively your Study Experiences Tours Specialist can pre-book packed lunches or arrange affordable, value for money meals at selected restaurants or at your accommodation.
Expert Local Guides
During your time in Iceland all your included excursions are accompanied by expert, professional and subject-specialist guides.
Our prices are based on a minimum group size of 30 students.
Your Choice of Travel Dates
Our trips to Iceland are available throughout the year, during term time and also during half terms and holidays. Please note that certain dates may carry a supplement to the prices shown
Your Educational Visits & Attractions
Included in the price of your trip to Iceland are selected educational visits and excursions, all led by expert guides. To ensure that you make the most of your trip your Tours Specialist is able to arrange additional educational visits, activities and dining options according to the duration of your trip. Full details of everything you might wish to add to your itinerary are available in our Iceland ‘Educational Visits and Attractions Guide’. Whatever your subject-specific requirements are, your itinerary can be tailor-made to meet your group’s educational needs.