The historic sites of the Ypres Salient and the Somme provide an invaluable experience for students, giving them the opportunity to gain a greater understanding of the Great War. Delivered by our sister brand, Remembrance Travel for Schools and Young People and in partnership with The Royal British Legion, we can arrange for you and your students to visit them as part of an all-inclusive tour that will add considerable value to their classroom studies.
What the price includes
- Exclusive coach hire throughout your tour including pick-up and drop-off at your school or college
- Return Channel crossings to Calais
- 1, 2 or 3 night's accommodation
- Continental breakfasts, packed lunches and dinners
- Services of an expert Royal British Legion Tour Guide throughout your trip
- Individually tailored itinerary prepared directly with you by your Royal British Legion Tour Guide
- Educational Visits Guide
- One free museum entry per full day
- Act of Remembrance Royal British Legion Wreath & Remembrance Tokens
- 1 Free Staff Place for every 8 Students
- All Government taxes, Service
- Charges & VAT
- 24 hour emergency cover and support
Day trips are also available for schools and colleges located in the south east of England.
Developed with the full support of The Royal British Legion, the tour will not only help your students to understand the actual events that took place in Belgium and France, but also the wider social, political and economic implications of World War One, providing a fascinating perspective of this key period of world history. You will be able to visit some of the most poignant and important sights of the Somme and Ypres Salient, in the company of our highly knowledgeable guide.
We will arrange your itinerary to the museums, battle sites, trenches, cemeteries and memorials that you wish to visit, such as:
- Historial de la Grande Guerre Museum
- In Flanders Fields Museum
- Vimy Ridge Memorial
- Newfoundland Memorial Park
- Hill 60
- Hooge Crater Museum and Trenches
- Lochnagar Mine Crater
- Yorkshire Trench
- Tyne Cot Cemetery
- Essex Farm Cemetery
- Langemarck German Cemetery
- Thiepval Memorial
- Ulster Tower
- Delville Wood
- Menin Gate and The Last Post
- Passchendaele Memorial Museum
- Talbot House
- Execution Cells in Poperinge
Our tour arrangements are based on providing your group with exclusive use of a 48, 49 or 53 seat coach, which will collect you from and return you back to your school or college. The coach will also provide the transfers between your chosen activities each day and your accommodation, to ensure you enjoy the very best tour arrangements.
For groups of between 20 and 40 students, we are able to offer travel by coach for your exclusive use. However, we will need to charge an appropriate small group, coach under-occupancy supplement. Please contact our Programme Manager for full details.
Your group will stay in one of our carefully selected properties. Our range includes both student accommodation in and around the Ypres Salient and in Albert, as well as two and three star hotels in the greater Lille area, such as Campanile Lille HEM Hotel and Balladins Superior Lille Tourcoing Hotel.
Royal British Legion Tour Guide
All tours are led by The Royal British Legion's specially trained guides, many with direct Service experience, who encourage participation, exploration and debate as they recount the experiences of those who were there. They use tour specific support materials linked to curricula or themes to create interest and involvement.